Welcome!

My craft blog was morphing into a book blog. So I started this blog to primarily include book reviews and related challenges in which I participate. I review young adult and adult fiction, but I mention kids books here and there.


Thursday, October 8, 2009

Beyond the Bayou by Kate Chopin

I chose a short story for today’s Throwback Thursday. Beyond the Bayou is from the book Kate Chopin: Complete Novels and Stories (Hardcover: 1075 pages 1931082219).
This is a short story written near the turn of the 20th century. Apparently set in the time of slavery in Louisiana, it is the story of overcoming fear.

The main character, Jacqueline, experienced a fearful moment in her childhood. As a result, she has reached the age of 35 without leaving the small plot of land around her cabin. But when emergency strikes her favorite of the slave owner’s children, she must overcome this fear.

The author artfully illustrated the appearance of the bayou as well as what I suppose was the dialect of the time.

I think that I liked this story because I enjoy the feeling of combating fears and coming out triumphant. I love to see people who realize that they are more than they’ve given themselves credit for. It was a quick read, and one you might enjoy. (I read it via DailyLit.)

No comments:

Post a Comment