Welcome!

My craft blog was morphing into a book blog. So I started this blog to primarily include book reviews and related challenges in which I participate. I review young adult and adult fiction, but I mention kids books here and there.


Sunday, February 21, 2010

Kid's reads

 This week's kid's books were visually entertaining.

Those shoes (Read as part of the POC, Young Readers, and Support Your Local Library challenges) I think that this one was my favorite one for the week. A young boy is saddened by the fact that he can't afford the popular shoes that all of his classmates seem to have. When his shoes fall apart, he is embarrassed by the shoes he has to take from the school's supply. His grandmother finds a pair at a thrift shop, which he buys even though they are too small. When his friend is without shoes, he makes a tough choice. This book really touched my heart while attesting to the generosity of children.

The Rain Stomper. (Read as part of the POC, Young Readers, and Support Your Local Library challenges) Beautifully illustrated, this book reminded me a great deal of my dancing daughter. The main character is looking forward to participating in the annual parade until the rain comes. But she doesn't let that stop her from expressing herself.

 If the World Were A village. (Read as part of the Young Readers, and Support Your Local Library challenges) As a former math teacher, I was really excited about the numbers in this book. Using the premise that the world is a village of a mere 100 people, this books explains how the people represent different demographics. Oh the lessons and activities I could have students do based on this book!
The Seeing Stick by Jan Yolen. (Read as part of the POC, Young Readers, and Support Your Local Library challenges) I loved this one. The illustrations were awesome, and the theme of appreciating what's around you was nicely illustrated.
 All the World (Read as part of the POC, Young Readers, and Support Your Local Library challenges) This beautifully illustrated book celebrates that mankind is one big family.
 Crazy Hair (Read as part of the Young Readers, and Support Your Local Library challenges) I enjoyed the rhythm and rhyme of this book. The illustrations were interesting as well.
 Finn Throws a Fit (Read as part of the Young Readers, and Support Your Local Library challenges) Super illustrations of a little one throwing a big fit. As the mother of a two-year-old, I can relate!
Duck and Cover (Read as part of the Young Readers, and Support Your Local Library challenges) A cute book involving animal antics.

No comments:

Post a Comment