Welcome!

My craft blog was morphing into a book blog. So I started this blog to primarily include book reviews and related challenges in which I participate. I review young adult and adult fiction, but I mention kids books here and there.


Sunday, February 21, 2010

Children of the Water

Children of the Waters by Carleen Brice
isbn 0345499077, pages

This story brings two people together from seemingly different worlds. As they learn the secrets that have been kept,  they begin to question their identities. Trish is a divorced white mother of a teenaged bi-racial son. When Trish learns that  her baby sister had been given up for adoption, she sets out to find and unite with her. Billie is newly pregnant, which causes her boyfriend to consider abandoning the relationship. Learning that she is adopted and biracial causes her to question everything she knows.

This book confronted several racial issues. I appreciated that it didn't come off as preachy. Nor did it imply that there is a preferred position to take. Everyone had room to openly address their own biases and misperceptions. The characters had issues like we all do, and no one was better or worse off than anyone else.

I read this as a participant in the following challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment